Friday, January 17, 2014

Help the Philippines, free hugs and Korean TV stars

Today Heidi, another EPIK teacher I met at orientation, organised a fund raiser to help the Philippine which, if you have been living under a rock for the last year like me, was smashed by a Typhoon late last year. Heidi rallied her English camp students and turned them into a well oiled fund raising machine. They made various chocolate snacks that they were selling for 1000 won ($1) each and had a couple of games you could take part in. Those that know me well will know that I'm a tight ass when it comes to spending money. Bravo to Heidi and her high school girls for convincing me to part with my hard earned cash. 


When we arrived Heidi was ready and waiting with a big smile and a sign saying "Free Hug". 



They were selling cookie dough truffle pops, caramel dipped pretzel rods...



Marshmallow rice krispie treats



Oreo truffles 



and more! 



After buying a few snacks, I tried my hand at the games. All those years of playing darts on my lunch break at Pakton helped, but not enough to win any prizes at the first game :( .



Next up was speed quiz. This game required two people, so lucky I brought my wife! Jihyeon was a little scared to play but I wasn't going to take no for an answer. We scored 12 points and won a couple of marsh mellows^^. 



It was then time to say goodbye and move onto the next attraction. 



Just a stones throw from where Heidi had set up her fund raiser was a Korean TV star signing autographs. It was Min Do Hee (도희), one of Jihyeon's favourite actors from the Korean TV show, reply 1994 (응답하라 1994)



As you can see there were a lot of people there taking photos and Jihyeon was having trouble seeing, so to the sound of gasps from Korean girls in the crowd I lifted her up above everyone else so she could see. 





No comments:

Post a Comment