Monday, October 28, 2013

Virtual Store - Seolleung Station - Seoul

We had some time to kill in Seoul on Saturday in Gangman. Jihyeon was too embarrassed to dance Gangnam Style with me so we checked off the next time killing activity on my list of things to do. I had heard of a virtual store at Seolleung subway station so we got off the train and wandered around the station looking for, what I thought would be, a high tech store. We soon found it, but it wasn't what I was expecting. 

As you can see below, the virtual store is essentially an advertisement with QR codes you scan with your phone. I don't see how this is more convenient than normal online shopping, but it does make for an interesting way to advertise your products. The virtual store was wrapped around a couple of pillars in the underground walkway. I got a few weird looks from passerby's while I was posing for a photo, but no-one seemed to pay any attention to the technological marvel I was standing next to. 


To buy something:
   1) Download the smartphone app
   2) Find the item you want to buy. If you are lucky it will be available at the store. 
   3) Scan the QR code with the app
   4) Pay with your credit card
   5) Enter your shipping address
It's that easy!

They offer same day FREE delivery (if ordered before 1pm) and you can exchange the goods if you are unhappy. I wanted to order something just for the hell of it, but it was just too much of a pain in the ass. 


The two pillars the store was wrapped around.


and some of the things you can buy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment